What you need to change (add or drop) a name on your national ID, Birth Certificate in Uganda

change name NIRA Uganda replacement of a national ID Uganda national ID replacement deadline for national ID registration exercise recommendation letter from NIRA change information on a national ID or birth certificate

If you’ve been wondering whether it’s possible to change the name your mama gave you, then worry no more because it’s possible, according to NIRA.

But it will cost you: time and money.

According to NIRA, you want to If you want to change your name on the National ID, you’ll present a deed poll (which can be acquired through a lawyer and be approved by Uganda Registration Services Bureau [URSB]).

You’ll also have to gazette the change of name in the Uganda Gazette.

According to NIRA, to change a name on the national ID, you also have to present documents like Birth and Marriage certificates. (See how to get a birth certificate here.)

The process costs Shs50,000.  Remember, these fees are exclusive of bank charges. You can pay the money for the passport at any URA revenue collection bank such as Bank of Africa, Diamond Trust Bank, Stanbic, Barclays, Orient, etc.

However, this exercise is only conducted by the legal office at NIRA headquarters at Kololo Ceremonial Grounds.

Other things you need to know about name changes

It is also possible to change a name on your Birth Certificate and we’ve previously written about it here.

If you’ve spelling errors on your national ID, you can also go to have the errors rectified, see the requirements here.


NIRA responds to frequently asked questions on National IDs, Birth & Death certificates, other services

NIRA moves to enforce compulsory national registration

To Top