Features in the new Skype version set to be unveiled
Microsoft is set to roll out an upgrade to its famous audio and video calling application Skype Version 7.0 commonly known as “Skype classic”. With this new Version 8.0, Microsoft promises that it will give users the best Skype experience yet.
Microsoft recently announced that it had been working on this new version, building it based on feedback from the users of the application. Microsoft further said the older versions will not be working after September 1, 2018.
The company has also added new features that are easy to use with the same familiar interface of Skype Version 7.0. Said Microsoft in a blog post on why the new version will be unveiled on September 1: “As we roll out improvements, there comes a time when we must shut down older services and application versions. This is done to ensure that all customers have the best possible Skype experience and that there are no quality or reliability issues resulting from old technology and new technology interoperating. We know change can be hard, so we’re working to make the update as simple as possible.”
According to the blog, Microsoft will add to Skype a new call recording feature it says will be available with its latest version sometime later. This call recording feature had been on numerous occasions requested for by users and Microsoft had even gone further to recommend other free third-party tools its users can use to record calls. The new feature will be cloud-based, allowing you to access Skype call recordings across devices including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and even Linux.
The new features:
- Chat media gallery: Finding files, links and photos shared in a conversation has been simplified with one click in the chat gallery
- Group HD video calling: You will now enjoy crystal clear free HD group video calls and be able to express your feelings by reacting with emoticons during calls.
- Quicker sharing: The new version will allow you to send photos, videos and other files of up to 300 MB easily by simply dragging and dropping the files.
- Notification panel: You will be able to see all of the reactions to your messages and mentions in group messages whenever someone mentions you.
- @mentions: If you are familiar with most social media applications like WhatsApp, Twitter, and Facebook, then you are going to enjoy this new @mentions feature that allows you to easily grab someone’s attention in a group chat by simply typing the “@” symbol followed by their name, triggering a notification for them to join the conversation.
- Customizable themes: The new Skype will also let you choose a color and theme for your Skype client through your application settings.
- Rich calling activities: Users will be able to share and co-view photos, sound or your whole screen to enrich your time together during a call.
- Flexible group call canvas: You will be able to customize your group call experience. Simply drag and drop contacts between the main call view and the overflow ribbon to select who you want to focus on.
- Conversation assistants: This feature will allow you to book tickets, plan a trip, search for news and more by adding bots to your conversation.
This Update like every other skype updates will be free and simple. Skype “Classic” users will likely have been nagged about it in the app itself, or can simply download the update. Microsoft promises that contacts and conversation history will all be preserved, although you’ll only be able to see the last years’ worth of chatting in the app itself.