Where to go for replacement of a national ID in Uganda

change name NIRA Uganda replacement of a national ID Uganda national ID replacement deadline for national ID registration exercise recommendation letter from NIRA change information on a national ID or birth certificate

When you lose your national ID or damage it, you need to replace it. But do you know which offices to contact for replacement of a national ID in Uganda?

According to NIRA, if you want to replace a lost or damaged national ID, you’ll visit the offices of the district where you registered for your first ID from.

And those in Kampala, if you don’t want to travel upcountry, NIRA says you can go to their head offices at Kololo Ceremonial Grounds. (Also see: NIRA relocates Kampala office)

For replacement of a national ID, you’ll be charged Shs50,000. (The money is paid at any URA revenue collection bank such as Bank of Africa, Diamond Trust Bank, Stanbic, Barclays, Orient, etc. [Remember, the fees are exclusive of bank charges].)

The form you’ll fill to replace your ID can be downloaded from the NIRA website or picked from either of the aforementioned offices.

You’ll also need a report from the police indicating that you lost your national ID.

Remember, you need a national ID to apply for an ePassport, acquire a sim card among other important documents in Uganda.


NIRA: What you need to get a Birth Certificate in Uganda

Costs and how to apply for an ePassport in Uganda online

To Top