One of the hardest bit about security features is having to convince users to actually utilize them. At least, Apple has steadily added new privacy and security features into iOS 14. We already saw the colored dots in the notification area to show if apps are accessing your camera or microphone. Another addition is the ability to check how secure your password is.
This lets you know if any of the passwords you’ve got stored in your Apple Keychain has been found in a data breach. In the past, this required additional apps or some manual checking, on sites such as haveibeenpwned. Now you can check without any such assistance.
How to check if your passwords are secure on iOS 14
To check if the passwords stored in your Apple Keychain have been breached:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone
- Scroll down and tap on Passwords
- Tap on Security Recommendations
- Tap on the toggle if Detect Compromised Passwords isn’t on. That page will also show any passwords you have that should be changed.
- Tap on Change Password on Website to go to the site where you can get iOS to suggest a unique password
This tool will also give you suggestions if you have reused the same credentials on multiple websites, or if you have a password that is easily guessed. That gives you all the tools you need to keep your accounts as secure as possible, so you don’t fall prey to hacks.